Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My New (Sort of) Skin Care Routine

RG Face 1


If you’ve been reading this blog for awhile (or if you’re a “real life” friend of mine), you’ll know that I’m a freak about skincare (see my posts on this here and here). I’m always bugging my friends and family members about sun screen, bugging my stepson to take care of his skin and just generally being a PITA. So far, I’ve been able to stave off the stupidity of my younger years involving many, many tanning beds and trips to the beach, and my goal is to look as great as the beautiful woman, below, when I am 85 years old!



Mom Mom

So it was with great pleasure that I found Caroline Hirons’s blog, Beauty Mouth! Caroline is a well respected skin care expert and funny as hell blogger who provides great advice on skincare products. The weekend that I “found” her, I spent hours pouring over her blog, trying to learn as much as possible. She is now my first, official girl crush! There’s really a lot of information here but one of the greatest things is her simple, to the point advice about what to put on your skin and why. Here are the simple steps of her recommended routine, which I have adapted for myself:

Morning
  • cleanse with a non-foaming cleanser (surfactants elevate the ph of the skin, making it a breeding ground for  bacteria. You want a cleanser with a ph under 8---I use Cerave)

  • tone with a acid based toner

  • moisturizing spritz of toner

  • apply any serums/treatments that work for the issues you’re working on

  • Hyaluronic Acid serum

  • eye cream

  • moisturizer
Evening
  • Remove makeup and/or sunscreen with an oil based lotion or balm (this is your 1st cleanse--I use my handy dandy oil cleansing method minus with warm/hot water---see here for more info)

  • Cleanse your skin with a non-foaming cleanser (this is your 2nd cleanse)

  • Acid toner

  • moisturizing spritz of toner if you want

  • apply any serums/treatments that suit you

  • Hyaluronic Acid serum

  • eye cream

  • moisturizer
It sounds like a lot, but it’s not and it takes 1 minute.

Here are Caroline’s Cleansing Cheat Sheet, her Top Tips for Great Skin, Cheat Sheet on Toner and her Cheat Sheet explaining Dry or Dehydrated Skin. Read them. You will be glad you did.  And I will be reviewing products that I have been trying out based on this skincare routine.

That is all. Now carry on and read Caroline’s blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)