Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Skincare Routine: Part 2



It wasn't until I was 42 that I began to be interested in skincare and take the health of my skin seriously. That first summer that I went to the beach slathered in sunblock, my pale white skin glowing against my black bathing suit as I sat under a beach umbrella with a sunhat and sunglasses, was very uncomfortable, indeed! Besides being slightly embarrassed by my deathly pallor, I really wanted to get out there on the beach and in the water! 

Slowly but surely, I embraced my natural color and began to figure out what would work best for my skin. Not one to be impressed by fancy packaging and expensive brands, I researched the ingredients that worked for aging skin (I'm still learning!) and came up with a skincare routine that works for my skin at this stage in my life. Skincare products can be soooo expensive and my research indicated that some of the most expensive products are made with some of the simplest, most inexpensive ingredients (in other words, they are waaay over priced!).

My routine is spelled out after the jump. Check it out!



Daily

  • Evening: I cleanse my skin using a mixture of Castor Oil and Sweet Almond Oil. This is known as the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) and is explained here. I also use the SkinActives Collagen Serum ($13.50).
Note: You can purchase all four of the serums I use here for $45.



Every Other Evening
  • Retin A .05%
Weekly

Every 60-90 Days

I love the SkinActives and the Makeup Artist's Choice products because they are extremely effective and well priced. Neither company spends a lot of money on fancy marketing campaigns and packaging so the cost savings are passed along to customers. In the case of SkinActives, the company is owned by chemists who really know what works! They also refuse to perpetuate the "myths" that so many cosmetic companies foist upon women---like "cures wrinkles" (there's nothing that really "cures" wrinkles) and their formulations contain real ingredients that are based in fact rather than "marketing speak." 

So there you have it! I am sure I will revise this over time and will let you know what I decide to work into my routine. 

What do you use for skincare? Let me know!! 


2 comments:

  1. It's so refreshing to hear someone else state what you did in your last paragraph! I'm so tired of reading "beauty junkies" fall for the myths perpetuated by marketing. I wisened up when I started reading the information from Paula Begoun and it's nice to know there are a few others out there with good information about ingredients too.
    -Das

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I also started reading Paula Begoun, probably about 15 years ago, before she had her website. It just really bothers me what the marketers get away with in beauty advertising. We just don't need to spend $150+ (or even a lot less than that) to get good results! And many of those expensive creams and serums are really not special. I could go on and on!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)