Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Product Review: Biologique Recherche Lotion P50 1970

Biologique Recherche P50


I mentioned in my post from earlier today that I have modified my skincare routine, based on Caroline Hirons’s blog Beauty Mouth. She recommends an acid toner and one she raves about is Biologique Recherche’s P50. Unfortunately for me, living in a small southern city, this stuff was not easy to find. In fact, it’s only sold in a relatively few places in the United States but being the intrepid online shopper that I am, I purchased this at Paul LaBreque. Their shipping was fast and I had my product in a few days.


I will admit that I wanted to hate this product because it is expensive. For an 8.4 oz bottle, I paid $84 (I know…I am obviously insane). There is a smaller bottle available for $57. The website describes three different versions of the toner: P50W, the “starter” version; P50V, the intermediate version and P50, the version for “mature, stronger, thicker or seborrheic skin types. Since I am a long time Retin A user, I chose P50.

Biologique Recherche P50 bottle

There are also apparently two versions of P50 (and P50V and P50W): one with phenol (sold in the U.S. and designated with 1970 in the title) and one without Phenol (sold in European Union countries). Phenol is a tricky ingredient, I guess, and was recently banned by the EU but from what I read on Caroline’s blog, that version is very much missed. As an ingredient, phenol is what gives P50 it’s interesting smell, the tingle on the skin and the slightly numb feeling. If you’ve ever used Campho Phenique, that’s what phenol smells like.

P50 has the following attributes:
  • Removes dead skin cells and impurities
  • Helps to mattify and regulate oil
  • Enhances epidermal renewal
  • Improves the strength and quality of the skin
  • Hydrates the top layers of the skin
  • Balances the surface PH of the skin
Active ingredients include lactic acid and Botanical Extracts labeled as Great Burdock, Myrle, Myrrh and Onion.

I’ve been using P50 for about a month (twice a day) and have hardly made a dent in the bottle. And honestly, I hate to say it but I love this product and will re-purchase it (which is huge coming from me, especially at this price). It really has made a difference in my skin care routine!

Have you ever tried P50? What did you think?

Ages of Beauty rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)