Friday, May 31, 2013

Neutral Nails for Spring/Summer 2013


Neutrals

Bright nails were all over the runways for Spring/Summer 2013 but neutral nails also made an appearance, as did neutral makeup. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been seeing collection after collection releasing new neutral makeup palettes so I thought it made sense to share some of my favorite neutral polishes.

Neutral” is going to be a little bit different color for everyone, depending on their skin tone. I have light, cool toned skin so most of my favorites fit that description but as the summer goes on, I often like to warm it up a little bit with slightly warmer tones in nail polish. From time to time, I will also use a self tanner so that also helps things along a bit. As I was going thru my collection, I realized I have a lot of neutral polishes and many of them are variations on another in the collection. Here are a few of my favorites.

CoverGirl Outlast 115

CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant nail gloss in Forever Frosted (#115) is a light, slightly pink beige polish that works well with lighter skin tones (but would provide great contrast for darker ladies). It is fairly opaque after two coats but some of the natural nail does still show through. CVS carries this brand for $5.99 and you can order it here.

Julep Jennifer

Julep’s Jennifer is a light pinkish beige that is warmer than Forever Frosted. It is very, very sheer and is not at all opaque after two coats. This provides an extremely natural look and is great for days when you want to look polished but not completely covered on the nails. Jennifer is available at Sephora for $14.00.

L'Oreal How Romantic

L’Oreal’s How Romantic is a cool toned pinky beige that is a sheerer cousin to Forever Frosted and a cooler toned version of Jennifer. It is very subtle and sweet looking with it’s sheer, pink finish. It’s available at CVS for $5.99.

Essie Mucho Dinero

Essie’s Mucho Dinero is a warm tan that is slightly opaque after two coats. I really like the Essie line for their softer colors and this one is no exception. This one will look great next to tanned skin. Essie’s polishes are available for about $8.00 online and in local stores.

BB Roza

I reviewed Bobbi Brown’s Roza nail polish a few months ago (see the post here) and I absolutely love this polish! Roza is an opaque, pinky beige polish that is great for ladies with light skin or even darker skin that has cool undertones. I have a feeling I’m going to be wearing this one a lot this summer!

OPI Barefoot in Barcelona

A darker, warmer neutral, OPI’s Barefoot in Barcelona is another great choice for summer neutrals. I’ve had this bottle for quite awhile and love wearing it on both fingers and toes. You can purchase this shade at Ulta for $9.00.

OCC Kava Kava

I’m including Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Kava Kava because it is just so darn pretty! A light golden frost, this one will look great with a tan! You can find it on the OCC Website here for $10.

2 comments:

  1. I like Mucho Dinero! I might have to give it a shot. I recently fell back in love with OPI's Don't Pretzel My Buttons - perfect mannequin hands for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try Don't Pretzel My Buttons!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)