Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Love of a Dog


“Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.
It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.”
John Grogan, Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog

The other day, as I was perusing Face Book, I noticed that a co-worker of mine had just adopted a golden retriever puppy. This was a big step for her as she had had to put down her beloved thirteen year old golden, who finally lost his battle with cancer. She told me that she was finally “ready” and I knew exactly what she meant. Losing a dog is like losing a friend or family member. The grief cuts deep and, at times, one feels like it will be impossible to get over. But, with time, the jagged edges are filed down and with those edges go the sorrow we feel for losing our best friends.

Josh 1
Josh

This year, in addition to losing my father, we also lost my parents’ dog, Josh. It was sudden and unexpected but at 13 years old, Josh had developed a fast moving cancer. He had his breakfast one morning as normal and within hours he was gone. We loved Josh and he loved us and our lives are better for knowing him.
Bentley 1
Bentley

Bailey Sweet Pea 1
Bailey

These days, I count my dogs, Bentley and Bailey, among my best friends. They cheerfully greet me when I return from my trips, from journeys to the grocery store and even from the next room after leaving them for ten minutes---their excitement never wanes! And today, another friend of mine sent me a link to the You Tube video, below, “So God Made A Dog.” You owe it to yourself to view it. This video says all we need to know about Man’s Best Friend.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)