Monday, July 29, 2013

In Vino Veritas at The Glass House Winery

I don’t know about you, but last week really kicked my butt. There’s a lot going on at work and I’m dealing with my Mom's health issues (that’s a blog post in itself!). Needless to say, I was beyond thrilled when one of my best and oldest friends called me up and asked to meet me at a winery on Sunday near where we both grew up. That’s how I learned about The Glass House Winery and their tasty wines!
wine and cheese touched up
Back when Dee Dee and I were in high school (and running the roads between her house and mine), the area that is now The Glass House Winery was all farmland. Now, it houses a beautiful vineyard, picnic areas and a winery which includes a green house full of tropical plants. This lovely spot is the perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine, a few snacks and great conversation.
Grapevines touched up
Lake touched up


Lady Scilpture touched up
Dee Dee and I have been friends since I was in the seventh grade (and she was in the eighth). We “officially” met while riding the school bus but both of us remember an earlier meeting, when we were both much less mature (I think I was in third or fourth grade) where she felt the need to “defend the honor” of her younger cousin, Joey. He and I apparently had a crush on one another and were trash talking when we ran into each other at the local Hardees. We look back at that time and laugh. Dee Dee and I have been through middle school, high school, college and adult life together, always available to laugh (or cry) on the others shoulder and just generally have a great time! We spent several hours catching up on life and every time we get together, it’s like we just pick up where we left off the last time we met or spoke. That’s what real friends are all about---an intimacy and comfort level that is always there, no matter what!
Stephanie Nakasian touched up

Stephanie and Veronica touched up
During our visit, we listened to a jazz vocal performance by Stephanie Nakasian and her daughter, Veronica. Now, I didn’t know who Stephanie was before I heard her sing at the winery but she is a real knock out! Her voice is beautiful, flexible and so expressive. If you like jazz vocals, you’ll love Stephanie! Her daughter, Veronica, was also there, singing on her own and in duets with her mother. She’s studying jazz in college and it sounds like she has a promising career ahead of her! The really funny part about this whole day, is that once I returned home, I mentioned to my husband that Dee Dee and I had been to the winery and had listened to some wonderful jazz. I mentioned Stephanie’s name and it turns out that she and her family are old family friends of my husband, my stepson and his mother! Small world!!! Anyway, check Stephanie out; she’s terrific!!!

Friendship is so important and close female friends often provide real support for one another in good times and bad. When you can’t count on anything else in your life, you should always be able to count on your girl friend to tell it like it is and I’ve always been able to count on Dee Dee. We may not agree on everything (don’t even get us started on politics or religion, LOL!!!) but we always have a great time!!!
D &D touched up
 Here’s to you Dee Dee! Thanks for the wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)