Thursday, February 28, 2013

Product Review: Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation


I love trying new foundations and probably have about forty of them so it's not surprising that for several months, I was obsessed with getting my hands on Illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation.

Illamasqua is a British brand so I was thrilled when Sephora started carrying part of the Skin Base color line. Did Skin Base live up to my expectations? Click below to find out!






Illamasqua has a GREAT color selection with shades ranging from white (for color mixing) to very dark, and then with yellow or pink undertones in all color ranges. There are 26 shades on the Illamasqua website. The only problem is, it's difficult to figure out one's shade match on a website and while Illamasqua does ship internationally, it's return policy does not allow the return of opened items.

Enter Sephora...

Sephora started carrying Skin Base in select stores (not the one near me) and online last summer. It retails for $42 and beckoned me from afar until I finally broke down and purchased it a few months ago.

My biggest challenge, at first, was finding a good color match. On the Illamasqua website, shade 5 appeared to be a good match for me but Sephora doesn't carry the whole line. Instead, I chose color 5.5, which is supposed to have yellow/pink undertones. It's actually a good choice for my complexion.



Skin Base comes in a rather small plastic bottle and it's a little bit awkward to get out of the container. The good news is that a little goes a long way so the size of the bottle is really not an issue.




Coverage is medium to heavy but I found that with some work, Skin Base can be sheered out to a lighter version of "medium" coverage. I've applied it with different kinds of foundations brushes, with  my fingers and with a sponge and unfortunately, my drier skin does not like it at all. I find it very difficult to blend out, even on fully moisturized and primed skin and on me, it doesn't look like "skin" at all but rather looks heavy and dry. 



For someone with oilier skin, this foundation would probably work very well, but not for me.

Unfortunately, I am not able to recommend this for aging skin, particularly that on the dry side. Have you had a different experience with this foundation? If so, please share!!

Ages of Beauty rating: **



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)