Thursday, February 28, 2013

Product Review: Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick



I am always looking for good, long wearing lip colors that don't dry the lips. In my real life, I travel a lot for work and attend day long meetings on a regular basis. One thing I hate is to come out of a meeting with a ring of lip color around my lips because the "long wearing" lip color has worn off much sooner that it should have.

Enter Hourglass's Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick. I've worn this quite a bit lately, while in my home office as well as on the road. How did it hold up? Click below to find out!




On one of my recent trips to Sephora, I purchased the color Empress for $28, after speaking to one of Sephora's traveling makeup artists, who just so happened to work for Hourglass in a former life. I had been looking at Make Up For Ever's Aqua Rouge in a similar color, so I thought, "What the heck? Sounds good to me!"

I found the Hourglass liquid lipstick to be VERY opaque. There is no leeway here---you get extremely pigmented, full lip color coverage. If anything, I believe this formula is well served by applying a touch of clear gloss in the middle of the lip, on top of the color. To me, a completely opaque, matte lip can be very aging, so I like it better with a little "light reflection" on top.

It swatches like a dream--very creamy and pigmented with a slight sheen when applied. The sheen quickly dries down to a matte finish.









The great news about this lipstick is that it lasted for MANY hours, in full opaque mode. Keep in mind that long wearing formulas never last as long on me as their advertisements claim. Most "8 hour" formulas last no more than 2 on me. I got a full 6 hours of wear out of Hourglass and just minor fading after that. I consider that a huge win! Those of you who don't "wear" lipstick out as fast as I do should get even more wear out of this formula.

Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick is available at Sephora for $28 in the following shades:

  • Rose: a modern neutral
  • Canvas: a soft rose beige
  • Edition: a pink gold
  • Ballet: a light pink
  • Empress: a deep Aubergine (pictured above)
  • Icon: a blue red
  • Raven: an orange red
  • Riviera: a tangerine
  • Muse: a coral red


Check them out and let me know what you think!

Ages of Beauty rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. Back to Sephora... You are costing me girl! But at least i don't have to try 32 other brands to dicover The Best! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy! :) There are a couple of other colors that I'm going to try as well. I also like the Make Up for Ever version of this so check that one out too!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)