Monday, May 12, 2014

Garnier Smoothing Cream Cleanser


Garnier Smoothing Cream Cleanser

Every so often, I find a product that really surprises me in a good way. The latest is Garnier’s Smoothing Cream Cleanser. This product has been my go-to facial cleanser all winter and I love it! I usually find that drugstore cleansers are too harsh, even the ones that are supposedly for dry or sensitive skins. The key to this one is the ingredients:

Aqua/Water, Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate, Coco-Betaine, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum/Fragrance/ Methylparaben, Salicylic Acid, Polyquaternium-39, Ethylparaben, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Glucoside, F.I.L. D162186/1

The surfactants in this cleanser, sodium cocoyl glycinate and coco-betaine, are both very gentle. I won’t get into why there are two of them in this formula but they do work well together. The slight foaming comes from the coco-betaine and because it’s not harsh, this cleanser won’t give you that tight, squeaky clean feeling that I hate. Other ingredients in this formula are a number of preservatives (some of which are present in the fragrance used. A note about the preservatives in this formula---parabens are nothing to be afraid of! They are GREAT preservatives and are safe for cosmetic use. I get irritated when people get all hysterical over an ingredient due to internet hysteria), a few oils (very small amount), some sodium hydroxide, which is probably used to adjust the ph to a skin-friendly level, a number of ingredients to help with emulsification/texture of the product and also fragrance. The amount of salicylic acid in here is small so it probably isn’t doing much for exfoliation (in a cleanser it doesn’t spend much time on the skin, which it needs to do in order to exfoliate). If you’re sensitive to fragrance, you may want to skip this one. I happen to really like the scent but it is definitely there.

In my opinion, Smoothing Cream Cleanser is a great product and if I had oily skin I would also use it as it definitely will break up oil and is gentle (which, in my humble opinion, is important for all skin types). This one’s a winner!!!

Ages of Beauty rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)