Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Great Drugstore Mascara Project Part 1

Drugstore Mascara 1

I got tired of complaining that I couldn’t find (or at least it seemed like I couldn’t) a drugstore mascara that didn’t smudge or flake. Forget about providing long, full lashes! For quite awhile, it seemed like every drugstore mascara I tried resulted in either smudges under my lower lashes (and I don’t even wear mascara on my lower lashes) or flakes that irritated my contact lenses. Stubborn woman that I am, I refused to believe that my favorite drugstore brands didn’t make a mascara that met my needs. So, I went out and purchased over twenty tubes of mascara with the hope that I’d find a few that I consider winners.”

I’ll do this post in two parts, since just yesterday I expanded my search to even more options!
It all started when my former holy grail mascara, L’Oreal’s Voluminous, started smudging unexpectedly after eight years of providing me with thick, gloriously fake looking lashes (a look I happen to like…well, actually they aren’t what I’d call “fake” looking but maybe just “lashier” than normal). The frustration that I felt trying to find a new option drove me to Nordstrom, where I found Trish McEvoy ($$$) and one of the Mac waterproof mascaras. Since mascara is a product that should be replaced often, my thrifty side demanded that I dig deep and find a suitable drugstore option (never mind that I actually purchased over twenty mascaras to try out). Part one of my testing included the following mascaras:
  • Maybelline Volume Express The Mega Plush Mascara (waterproof version)
  • CoverGirl Lash Blast Length Water Resistant Mascara
  • L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof (yes, I gave it another chance)
  • Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam Waterproof Mascara
  • L’Oreal Lash Out Butterfly Waterproof Mascara
  • CoverGirl Professional Super Thick Lash Mascara (claims to be smudge proof but not waterproof)
  • Maybelline Volume Express The Falsies Black Drama Waterproof Mascara
  • L’Oreal Voluminous Full Definition Mascara (claims to be smudge proof)
  • Physician’s Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara
  • CoverGirl Lash Perfection Mascara
  • Revlon Colorstay Overtime Mascara
  • L’Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Waterproof Mascara
  • CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Waterproof Mascara
I had high hopes for each of these products and, to be honest, I’m always disappointed when it doesn’t work out. Each of these brands is responsible for individual products that I absolutely love but mascara is a difficult item for me. So…without further delay…the “winners” from this bunch…drumroll please…

Drugstore Mascara Winners 1


Denise’s Drugstore Picks for Non Smudging Mascara (Part 1)
  • L’Oreal Lash Out Butterfly Waterproof Mascara
  • CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Mascara
  • Revlon Colorstay Overtime Mascara
  • CoverGirl Lash Perfection
  • CoverGirl Lash Blast Length
Each of these mascaras had different reasons to love it but they were all truly non-smudging for me! Yaaay! A few were actually quite remarkable in some way and I will do my best write a thorough review of each.
And now…the losers…


Drugstore Mascara Losers 1


Unfortunately, every one of the mascaras above smudged on me, despite most of them claiming to be either waterproof or smudge proof. So disappointing!


Rimmel Scandaleyes R for Reject

“R” is for Reject

Stay tuned for part two as I try out ten more drugstore mascaras. Are any of these options your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)