Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Memories

mariah tree

2013 has been a monumental year for me and my family. So many things have happened—success on the job, parents who have been further diagnosed with health problems, my husband’s semi retirement, my stepson’s success in college, our “informal adoption” of our son’s friend and her success in life, announcements of marriage, divorce and lots of travel. There has been happiness, sadness, fulfillment and challenge. As this year closes, we have a lot to be thankful for and decisions to make for the future.

Bear topper

We actually celebrated Christmas early, beginning with a family dinner for fifteen last Saturday. My husband and I hosted so in addition to cooking the dinner, we also had to move everything out of the dining room in order to accommodate our guests. For several years, I operated a  custom wedding cake business out of the dining room. Due to my work schedule, I shut it down last year but waited until this past week to “reclaim” the space. We worked like crazy to get ready and the dinner was a success!

JesseMindyBentley
Mindy, Jesse and Bentley

On Monday, my husband, the kids and I headed out to an annual Christmas party that has become a tradition. We all got dressed up in our party best and headed out for a few hours, leaving my parents with the dogs and cats. Once we returned home, it was time to open presents. All of the pets got involved, especially Aqua Kitty, who really seemed to enjoy the empty boxes, wrapping paper and bows.

Aqua Kitty
Aqua Kitty

On Sunday, I began baking and decorating two special cakes for friends of mine (their Christmas tree is pictured above). My husband and I delivered the cakes on Christmas Eve and then returned home to relax. I also packed a bag for an upcoming trip with my parents.

Buche de noel
Buche de Noel

On Christmas morning, I joined my parents in their motor coach as we left for a trip to Florida. I’m chaperoning them to their home in Florida and we’ll arrive Thursday evening. After I spend a few days getting them situated, I’ll fly back to Virginia in time to join my family in the Outer Banks. It should be a great ending to an even better year!

I have a lot to reflect upon as the year closes out. The trip with my parents has been eye opening and painful at the same time but it’s all part of the circle of life. Time will tell how the new year impacts my parents but as with everything, my brothers and I will deal with it as it comes.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday! What plans do you have for New Years?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)