Monday, February 4, 2013

Product Review: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars: Pinks

Super long lasting lip color!!!



Lip tars from left:  Digitalis, Narcissus, Pageant, Ophelia, Memento

Last summer, I started reading all about Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (O.C.C.) and their incredible lip colors. Since one of my pet peeves is lipstick that disappears quickly, I thought I should check these out. At the time, I was on a quest for a long lasting red lipstick as nothing I already had lasted more than an hour or two at the most. Enter O.C.C. lip tars!

My first lip tar was their aptly name red, NSFW, a bright, beautiful red. Depending on what I was doing (drinking, talking, eating or just  quietly going about my day), this color lasted anywhere between 4 and 9 hours on my lips. No lie!!! As a result, I HAD to have more, therefore, I went out and stocked up on a bunch of colors and thus, the first of my blog reviews for O.C.C. lip tars. This review will focus on the pinks in my collection. These are, by no means, all of the pinks that O.C.C. has released, but just the ones that I have purchased.




From left: Digitalis, Narcissus, Pageant, Ophelia, Memento
Almost without fail, I find the pink lip tars to be incredibly pigmented with a finish that is a combination between matte and satin. They can be a little bit drying on my lips, so I recommend conditioning your lips with a lip balm or the clear base that O.C.C. sells (I have not tried this myself but have heard good reviews). For those of you with lines around the lips, I recommend a clear lip pencil or other barrier/filler to insure that the pigment doesn't feather into your fine lines. I did not have this problem myself, but I could see this being an issue eventually.

Lip tars retail for $16 and can be purchased at either the O.C.C. website here or at Sephora. They each come in a small, plastic zip pouch with a tiny, but very usable lip brush. Besides their strong pigment and lasting power, the great thing is that you need only a tiny amount; literally a pinhead worth of color will coat both lips! One thing that some may not like, though, is that sometimes the pigment comes across a little flat and without depth. That's because these colors are basically pure pigment. I've found that there are two ways to combat this: wear a gloss over top (I like to add it in the middle of my top and bottom lips) OR blend it with one of the two metallic colors that I have (a white one called Iced or a gold called Triptych) that will introduce a more nuanced finish.

Speaking of color , these things are designed to blend with other lip tars, and therefore, you can create new colors. Besides the typical pinks, reds, corals and nudes that you would expect, O.C.C. has introduced not only the aforementioned metallics, but also a cyan blue (RX), a black (Tarred) and a bright yellow (Traffic), which allows you to make just about any color you would like!

Overall, I love lip tars and they are my go to product when I want a super long lasting lip stick. If you are comfortable wearing a long lasting lip product, then this is one you should try. See below for pictures of each product.


Digitalis
Digitalis

Digitalis: a cool toned light pink/lavendar 



Narcissus

Narcissus

Narcissus: a blue toned "Barbie Pink"


Pageant

Pageant
Pageant: A mid tone "hot" pink


Ophelia



Ophelia

Ophelia: a petal pink with yellow undertones


Memento



Memento

Memento: a sandy pink

Ages of Beauty rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)