Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Product Showdown: Covergirl Lashblast Fusion vs. Mac Zoom Waterfast Lash

Covergirl Lashblast Fusion vs. Mac Zoom Waterfast Lash Mascara


Welcome to my first Drugstore/High End Product Showdown! In this post, I'm reviewing two popular water resistant mascaras.

I have a love/hate relationship with most mascaras because more often than not, I end up with flaking or raccoon eyes even when a mascara is touted as being "waterproof." For years, I used L'Oreal's Voluminous Mascara with great success (and not even the waterproof version of it) and sometime last Spring, as I replaced an empty tube, the unthinkable happened---smudges, flakes and overall nastiness. Practically heartbroken, I thought, "Well, I'll just try a 'waterproof' version of this mascara." Nope, nada, non! Then I reached for their "Million Lashes" waterproof in the gold tube. Smudge City. Thus began my quest for the perfect mascara.





Mac Zoom Waterfast Lash Mascara ($16 at Nordstrom.com)
Mac describes this mascara as a curling and lengthening mascara that lasts up to 12 hours with no smudging. I have to agree with their description and add that it is also a great volumizing mascara. The brush is a manageable size and while some people report that this mascara is a little clumpy, I don't find that to be the case. Keep in mind, though, that I rub any extra mascara off the tip of the wand before putting it on my lashes. This mascara does a great job of lengthening so be careful with that or you will get "tarantula" lashes! 



Before and After 2 coats of Mac Zoom Waterfast in Black

Overall, I really love this mascara and that's saying a lot for someone who typically doesn't buy high end mascara. It is truly waterproof and smudge proof (I remove it with cleansing oil) and I will definitely purchase it again.

Ages of Beauty Rating: *****



CoverGirl Lashblast Fusion Waterproof Mascara ($10.49 at Walgreen's )
Lashblast Fusion is one of the latest additions to CoverGirl's Lashblast line  of mascaras. They describe it as "super volumizing, thickening and build-able " Based on my experience with this product, I would say that is very accurate. The waterproof designation is also on target as this mascara lasted all day with no smudges or flakes. That's a win for me! You can see from the pictures, below, that it also did a nice job on the eyes and didn't look too spider-like.




Before and After CG LashBlast Fusion in Black/Brown

I like the mascara a lot---it does what it's supposed to and is a great "dupe" for the Mac. The only problem is, I HATE the brush! It's too big and unwieldy (for me) and I don't feel like I have total control over it. It is between $5.50 and $8.50 cheaper than the Zoom Waterfast, depending on where you buy it, so I DO recommend this mascara. But after I finish this tube, I probably won't re-purchase it because of the brush. 

Ages of Beauty Rating: ****

The Winner: Mac Zoom Waterfast Lash Mascara!

Have you tried either mascara? What are you thoughts? Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)