Monday, March 17, 2014

L’Oreal Voluminous Mistake Proof Eyeliner


L'Oreal Voluminous Eyeliner Black 1

I love a nice flick of eyeliner to dress up my eyes a bit. My requirements for a good eyeliner include that the formula doesn’t smudge, the color is rich and opaque and it’s easy to apply. How did L’Oreal’s Voluminous Mistake Proof Eyeliner perform? Read on to find out!

L'Oreal Voluminous Eyeliner Black 2

I’m not sure you can tell in the fuzzy picture, above (what the heck happened???!!), but this L’Oreal liner  (which is available at drugstores everywhere for about $7) has a very firm, magic marker-like tip. It’s even angled like a magic marker although the tip isn’t as thick. L’Oreal bills this tip as an “ultra precise applicator,” allowing the user to easily execute even the most exacting eyeliner looks. OK…I didn’t find this applicator that easy to use and I generally have no problems applying liners of all types and formulas. I have a feeling I know what made the applicator appear to be less than “ultra precise”…

L'Oreal Voluminous Eyeliner Black swatch


…and that would be the pigmentation! I found the black eyeliner to be sheer. To get the depth of color on the swatches, above (sorry for the blur), I had to go over them several times. You can see the “sheer” color on the outer edges of the swatches. My liner is brand new and is stored on its side so it’s not like the pigments aren’t concentrated in the applicator. As a result of the lacking pigment, I had difficulty making a very thin, precise line.

All of that being said, this eyeliner was absolutely smudge proof on my eyelids!!! (Note to L’Oreal, if you’re reading this---why can you make the Voluminous eyeliner smudgeproof but the Voluminous Waterproof Mascara is not? I used to love that mascara!!!)

L'Oreal Voluminous eyeliner Face

You can see on the picture, above, that my lines are neither thin nor precise (which is what I go for when doing a flick) because I had to go over the lines several times to get enough color. As I was applying the liner, I made note that this marker pen will probably work really well while tight lining (taking the liner and applying it by pushing it between the eyelashes---looks very natural and makes the eyelashes look really thick).

L'Oreal Voluminous eyeliner Face 2

Because my eyes are hooded, I have to draw a really long line in order for it to show up. Little mistakes or lack of precision generally don’t show up when my eyes are open (see below). You can’t even see the flicks!

L'Oreal Voluminous eyeliner Face 3

I will continue to use this liner pen, specifically for when I want a more natural look via tight lining. Again, I love that it doesn’t smudge on me (when everything else does) but unless the formula is changed to make the pigment more opaque and the applicator is redesigned, I probably won’t purchase this “good but not great” eyeliner again.

Have you tried this eyeliner pen? What do you think?

Ages of Beauty rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)